NATIONAL YOUTH BRASS BAND OF WALES
“One of the most impressive ensembles in the principality”
Composers of Wales Newsletter
“NYBBW has helped to create some amazing players”
The British Bandsman
The National Youth Brass Band of Wales, under its first musical director, and current president, Edward Gregson, was formed in 1982 by the Welsh Amateur Music Federation which, as Tŷ Cerdd, continued to provide administration and funding until 30th September 2017. The Brass Band is now one of the six national performing ensembles managed by National Youth Arts Wales.
Members of the National Youth Brass Band of Wales are drawn from all parts of Wales, and auditioned or re-auditioned annually. A large number of former members are now well known as soloists, conductors, or as performers with top British bands or orchestras.
Provisional 2018 Residency Details:
Dates: 22nd – 29th July 2018
Venue: Trinity St David University, Carmarthen
Cost: £336 + £24 Social Fund (Total £360)
Conductor: Philip Harper
Performances: 27th July – St Davids Church, Neath tbc
28th July – Theatr Hafren, Newtown tbc
29th July – Dora Stoutzker Hall, RWCMD Cardiff
2018 Music Ensemble Auditions
- Application forms for the NYAW Music ensembles are now live and available here
- Important information concerning the auditions can be found here
- Proposed details for the 2018 Residency can be found below
- We accept applications from people who live in Wales or were born in Wales.
- Applicants should normally be of grade 8 standard although they do not have to have taken their grade 8 exam at time of audition
- The normal age range for the national youth arts ensembles is 16 to 22. For the 2018 courses participants must be aged between 16 and 22 on 31st August 2018. We may take younger participants into the instrumental ensembles (Brass, Orchestra, Wind) where extraordinary talent is shown. This will be solely at the discretion of NYAW.
- We particularly welcome applications from young people who engage in activities provided by the Music Service providers and who support activity at school / college and county level.