NATIONAL YOUTH CHOIR OF WALES
“NYCW sang their hearts out”
“When I was in the choir I got the chance to sing with
Bryn Terfel and it’s something I’ll never forget”
Katherine Jenkins, soprano
The National Youth Choir of Wales was formed by Tŷ Cerdd (as the Welsh Amateur Music Federation) in 1984, to support both the long-standing choral tradition of Wales and the development needed for that tradition to flourish. On 1st October 2017, responsibility for the management of the Choir and the other five national performing ensembles transferred to the newly established National Youth Arts Wales. Members of the Choir, who are aged between 16 and 22 years, are drawn from all parts of Wales, and auditioned annually. The Choir’s main work is concentrated in a summer residency consisting of training from professional tutors and conductors, followed by a series of concerts.
Provisional 2018 Residency Details:
Dates: 25th July – 5th August 2018 tbc
Venue: Trinity St David University, Lampeter
Cost: £504 + £36 Social Fund (Total £540)
Conductor: Tim Rhys Evans
Performances: To include at least 3 concerts including a collaboration with the National Youth Orchestra of Wales
2018 Music Ensemble Auditions
- Application forms for the NYAW Music ensembles are now live and available here
- Important information concerning the auditions can be found here
- Proposed details for the 2018 Residency can be found below
- We accept applications from people who live in Wales or were born in Wales.
- Applicants should normally be of grade 8 standard although they do not have to have taken their grade 8 exam at time of audition
- The normal age range for the national youth arts ensembles is 16 to 22. For the 2018 courses participants must be aged between 16 and 22 on 31st August 2018. We may take younger participants into the instrumental ensembles (Brass, Orchestra, Wind) where extraordinary talent is shown. This will be solely at the discretion of NYAW.
- We particularly welcome applications from young people who engage in activities provided by the Music Service providers and who support activity at school / college and county level.